Saturday, May 13, 2006

Himeji Castle

Penning a quick note from the International Center in Himeji, where I've taken refuge to stay out of the rain. I once again have chanced upon some free internet... it's been a lot easier than I thought it would be to stay in touch with folks back at home. I've probably chatted more with Gil than I have on any given day, though we got to have a rare phone call yesterday from the business hotel I was staying at in Kobe.

Himeji Castle was built in the 16th century by the son-in-law of the first Tokugawa shogun (who, by the way, was responsible for the death of the family of the ruler mentioned in the Osaka-jo Castle I wrote about previously.) It's said to resemble a white egret or crane about to take flight... somewhat appropriate since the castle is white and has curving walls leading up to its main tower. There wasn't too much to see inside the castle itself - it's not furnished nor does it have extensive displays - but it was fun to put on slippers and climb up six flights of steep wooden stairs to the top of the tower. From there, you have views of Himeji below you... particularly cool given today's weather, as the landscape seemed to disappear into the clouds. The whole complex - the main tower and the castle grounds - are considered to be a UNESCO World Heritage Site, so it's well known and highly frequented by tourists. My favorite part was the long corridor adjacent to the tower that was occupied by Princess Sen, a granddaughter of the first Tokugawa Shogun. Her dowry paid for the building of this part of the castle. When Princess Sen lived in the tower, the long corridor's rooms were occupied by her maidservants, who were guarded at night by sentries posted outside the heavy doors. Now, you can pad down the corridor in your slippers and look through the windows at the views of the gardens that the maids had.

Heading further west tonight, stopping in a city along the Shinkansen route before I proceed on to Hiroshima and the Kyushu area. Going to grab some dinner now, and perhaps do a little window shopping in the arcades and department stores here in Himeji.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home